- Are you having difficulty paying for your medication?
- Do you have questions about Medicare and other senior health insurance programs?
- Are you finding it difficult to navigate through the applications for senior health insurance programs?
- Are you looking for one place to direct you to all available benefit opportunities?
If you answered “Yes” to any of these questions, the Information and Assistance (I&A) program at Elder Care Services can assist.
The Elder Care Services’ Information and Referral Specialist is available in the office for free individual confidential counseling sessions to educate you or a caregiver about health insurance questions and options. The Information and Assistance Specialist is certified through the Alliance of Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) and the Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP). AIRS is a nationwide professional credentialing program for individuals working within the information and referral sector of human services. Our agency also has an organizational membership with AIRS. SHIP is a free statewide health insurance counseling service that provides certification to it’s volunteer counselors and is sponsored by the Illinois Department of Aging. If you or a loved one are in need of quality information about federal, state, and local health and benefit programs, look no further.
Elder Care Services can answer questions about:
- Medicare Supplement Insurance
- Medicare Advantage Plans (HMOs, PPOs, PFFs)
- Prescription Drug Coverage through Medicare and other sources
- Extra Help from Social Security for prescription drug costs
- Benefit Access Program/License Plate Discounts
- Medicaid Savings Program (QMB, SLMB and Q1)
The Information and Assistance program can also assist in completing the Benefit Access Program applications, and Extra Help applications, as well as other state and federal application processes.
The Information and Assistance Program provides older adults or their caregivers with current information on opportunities and services available to older adults. Those who speak with our I&A Specialist have their needs assessed and are referred to available services such as:
- LIHEAP (energy assistance)
- Senior Citizen Utility Assistance through the City of DeKalb
- Senior Citizen Property Tax Exemptions
- Free Government Sponsored Cell Phones
- Food/Nutrition (Food Pantries)
- Experience Works (government work program for ages 55+)
- Veteran Assistance
- And Much, Much, More.
If you would like to browse through information on available senior service programs independently, Elder Care Services houses a resource library located in the front foyer of the office. Please come in and check out brochure information displayed.
Useful websites for Information and Assistance purposes: